Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Nuclear Option

Yipes. Jobless. Yesterday, Kelly's company gathered everyone together and announced they were closing up shop and filing for bankruptcy protection. They will make Monday's payroll, but that's it, there ain't no more. Scary. Not that he can't find another job, not even that I may (may) have to go back to a full-time job. Scary that this house is an expensive place to maintain, on top of the alimony that he pays... We don't know if he'll be able to get the same salary.

On the other hand, this may be the right time for him to take the next step in his career. Is it consultant time? Is it hang-out-the-shingle time? (Well, no - he has to pass the Bar first, and the results of the July test won't be announced until mid-November.)

My knitting-instructor career isn't exactly bursting at the seams, but I can do more work for EMSS. Not enough to cover what he would make, but enough to help make the money in the bank last a little bit longer.

So... I knit - and I knit from stash. The last of the chemo caps is coming along; crown decreases are about to begin. My toe-up student on Tuesday has given me a great excuse to cast on the BMFA STR my Monday night group gave me last month (lightweight, "Fire on the Mountain"). I plan to make them into Jaywalkers, since I found a toe-up option for the pattern. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment