Sunday, August 10, 2008

Slight Miscalculation

It dawned on me today (okay, I'm a little slow) that I didn't think through my two Ravelympics project choices. Great patterns, nice yarns, a little challenging (Ice Queen), a little trudge-y (LaceyVee).

So what's the miscalculation?

Portability. Neither's got any!

Lacey Vee is being knit with Kraemer Textiles Little Lehigh Pebbles, a softer-than-you'd-think 45% cotton, 55% acrylic. I'm using US #6 circular 29" needles, and the rows are flying by. As long as I'm at home. Where I can keep the 2 POUND YARN CONE at my feet. I was soooo excited when I first got this yarn at Yarn Place, and because I worked there, I got a discount. Lovely yarn, and cheap, too! And no ends to weave in! Thousands of yards of yarn in one long unbroken strand! Thousands of yards in one long unbroken strand IN A 2-POUND YARN CONE! Oh yeah, that's portable. Portable like the way the Osborne computer was portable: it weighed about 50 pounds, had a 3"x3" screen, all the computing power of a calculator...and was considered portable because they had put a handle on top. So, yeah, a cone of yarn. Good choice for portable knitting.

Ice Queen is at the far other end. 400+ yards of Silkmo weighs, what...? Less than 4 ounces. Very portable, right? Um. Not so much. I'm using Harmony needles with Silkmo in the Lagoon color - basically I'm using the same color needles as yarn. In mohair. With vaguely pointed needles. And with beads. You know, beads? Those little ROUND things that have holes in them and that are slippery and 'plink' on every hard surface when you drop them? Did I mention they're ROUND? Yeah, I know; I could get some Addi Lace needles and that would take care of the color-on-color problem. But I don't need size US #8 Addi Lace needles. And the beads would still take off for parts unknown anyway. No, Ice Queen is not a traveling project, either.

So what did I bring with me to dinner tonight? Flat Feet Sweet Tarts socks. (You knew it had to be socks, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment