Monday, February 4, 2008

A Super Stupor Bowl

Wasn't it great?! No, I'm not talking about the game (well, the last 10 minutes were pretty good), I'm talking about all the knitting I got done. (Some of the commercials were cute, but in general, they were pretty lackluster.

The mittens... Good news is, they're done. Bad news is, I ran out of yarn halfway through the second thumb. Good news, I had enough of another yarn to substitute. Bad news, substitute yarn is totally different color. Good news, I can live with the color difference. Bad news, substitute yarn is a different gauge. Good news, I frogged the first thumb and re-did with the same substitute yarn. Bad news, different gauge means it looks like both thumbs went to a witchdoctor and got shrunk and shriveled. Good news, I can probably find another substitute yarn that matches color and gauge better. Bad news, I'm not really likely to do that. Good news, I did figure out how to do an afterthought thumb. Bad news, I miscalculated how wide the thumb opening should be. Good news, I can do it again, correctly this time.

The real bad news about the mittens, though, is that they were supposed to be a birthday gift (for another knitter) but they look really dorky. Oh well. Time to break out the gift certificates.

Serendipity socks... I finished the first 28 rows of the pattern and have embarked on the second (of which you only do 26, but let's not quibble over 2 rows of stockinette). I'm looking forward to doing the short-row heel over more than half the stitches. I think that will solve a lot of tight-instep problems I've had on other socks. Even better, I slipped Serendipity up my leg and they actually seem to fit, even though they look rather large.

(I guess I should just get used to the idea that every body part I own is ginormous. I mean, I see sweaters and pants that look HUGE, positively 4X, and think, "oh that's so big, it will swim on me." And then I can't get them over my big fat blobby hips, either coming up with pants or coming down with tops. Bleah. Think I'll go get a donut.)

Hm. Doesn't sound like I got a huge amount of knitting done, but believe me, I was having A Time with the mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment