Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"I'm melting...."

Humidity. I grew up with it. When I landed in California in October of 1981, I stepped off the plane and after about 42.5 nanoseconds, I got used to the low humidity of the Bay Area. I don't remember the humidity being too bad when I traveled back to New York to visit the family. But when they retired to Florida and I visited them here... whoo boy, Florida is a whole 'nother kettle of mullet.

Right now, it's humid here (I don't know the number), but luckily it's not too hot. The trip hasn't been as bad as some others I've made. Still, when you step out of the shower and dry off, you never get completely dry. I feel like I'm walking around with a little film of schvitz all over me. And what's with the eyebrows and leg hair? My mother swore that the Florida weather made her hair grow faster. I'm inclined to agree.

Aunt is looking good. She turns 73 (I think) this year. No word yet on the lung biopsy, but she's already started the quitting-smoking routine in anticipation of the worst. She hasn't had a bad reaction to the chemo for her MM and, yes, she still has all her hair. She's been sore since the biopsy on Friday, but the doctor said that's primarily due to the MM - anything they do to or near her bones will make her hurt.

Dad also looks good. Lost a little more hearing, but his stories are holding steady (I know because I've heard all of them before - multiple times!). He woke up this morning with a muscle cramp in his right arm that caused him to not be able to bowl today, but some Aleve is making it better. He'll go to the doctor tomorrow if he's still not right (or visit his friend Vic, the retired chiropractor... aka "the miracle worker"). My brother and SIL will be down to visit at the end of April.

Disney was great, as usual. We stayed in one of their 'value resorts' and it was fine. A basic room, but done with a cute theme and decor. We were at the All-Star Sports Resort, one of three 'All-Star" resorts (the other two were All-Star Movies and All-Star Music). Our room was in the "Touchdown!" section, so the wallpaper was full of football players (what else?) and the central area was a football field. The "Home Run" section had gigundo baseball bats and the pool was shaped like a baseball diamond, with Goofy shooting baseballs out of a canon (actually, it was water). Disney knows how to take a theme and run with it.

The parks (we visited the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot) were full of people, but definitely not as crowded as most other times I've gone. Wait times hovered around 10-25 minutes, with a few clocking in at over 60 minutes. We decided to pass on most of those, but took a FastPass for the Jungle Cruise. We saw most of what we wanted to see in the three parks in about 15 hours. We may go back later in the year - we still have 3 days left on our 5-day Parkhopper ticket!

Lastly - the sweater... it's done and it fits! Auntie wants me to crop her head off the picture before I post it, but for those of you in Ravelry, the full photo is there. Here she is... although, she looks much better than the edited version below!

Heading home soon, another early morning tomorrow and an hour-long drive to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment