Thursday, January 29, 2009

"You Big Dummy!"

So last summer, there was a series of cell phone commercials that started with, "'Beep'! So-and-so's phone calling. We're here in no-bar land, so So-and-so didn't get your message that..." and they'd go into stuations where so-and-so might have wanted to get that call. In one case it was to tell the friend the home alarm security code, another was that you're supposed to thaw the turkey before putting it in the deep fat fryer, and another was to tell the news crew that the blasting site for a building demolition changed to... um, where the news crew was at that time. But the one that is appropriate here is the one where a young girl has Michael Phelps posters all over her walls, and her 'beep!' message is that because she couldn't get the call, she didn't know that Michael Phelps was in town, schmoozing with the locals. No, this isn't a drool-over-Michael post.) At the end of the commercial, the 'beep!' talker is screaming at the girl, and the last thing she says is, "You big dummy!"




That's me. Big dummy. I had my camera available to take pictures of my aunt's Red Spice sweater. I took pictures of the sweater. Close ups, mostly, of the old sweater, the one that doesn't fit her. I forgot to take pictures of the new, in-progress sweater so I could post on Ravelry. It's good that I took the pictures of the old one, because at some point, I'm going to need to remember how I assembled it... and since I have to unravel the old one to knit the new one, my point of reference will be gone. But it would have been nice to take a picture of my progress so far, while I had everything laid out on the table in the sunlight streaming in through the window.
Ah, ya big dummy.



I adore my Silkie Monkeys. I get all warm and squishy just thinking about them; you can imagine what happens to me when I actually put them on my feet. So, since I finished my Checker-Bordhis and my Monkeys, I get to cast on another pair of socks! Only I didn't. In a marvelous (and completely unprecedented) show of restraint (or stupidity) (or dumminess), I didn't. Instead, I went to my hibernation pile (thank you, Chickenknittle) and pulled out the toes of my Pigeonroof Studios socks. I like this yarn. It is wonderfully soft and the colors are gorgeous - totally unlike any other color and type of yarn I've been attracted to in the past. When I tried to knit with it, though, I couldn't find a pattern that would show off the yarn to its best advantage. I must have tried 4 different patterns, and ripped them all back to the toes after 6 or 7 rounds.


Last weekend, though, I thought I'd give it one more chance, and started working on a pattern that's very reminiscent of Janice Kang's Early Spring pattern. It's not perfect - I think it shows the colors better than the pattern - but it's kind of growing on me. I just finished the second repeat, and think it might work.


And that, dear friends, are the only two - yes, two - active projects I have right now. I'm trying to be sort of faithful to my knitting. Actually, I'm trying to actually get some finished objects off my needles, and realized that if I stopped flitting from one to the other, completion might actually be possible. Imagine that! So one pair of socks, one sweater. My aunt is starting her chemo treatments on Monday, though, so I reserve the right to interleave a chemo cap or two in there should she start to lose her hair (she's been told this variety of chemo doesn't necessarily induce complete hair loss; YMMV).


Off to feed my sweetie and prep for the Invasion of the Knitters tonight - lentil soup on the menu!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting one step closer to Project Monogamy! I know it's scary but give it a try. :-)

    If you're going to do a chemo cap, how about Odessa? It's just dreamy if you do it in Malabrigo Silk....

    ReplyDelete