Monday, February 9, 2009

Good Update

Got a call from my aunt today after her third chemo treatment - so far, she's had no ill effects, other than getting a small headache. This flavor of drug apparently doesn't automatically make you lose your hair; so far, she hasn't lost any. I sent a hat to her anyway, just in case. (Of course, it's a joke hat - Hallowig, from Knitty.com.)

DH and I are planning to visit her and my dad at the end of March. We'll finalize the plans as soon as one of his clients decides if they need/want a meeting on Friday, March 27. If they do, we'll take the red-eye Friday night; if not, we'll travel Thursday evening or all day Friday (depending on cost). We're also tying the trip in with the Disaster Recovery Journal's "Spring World" conference, so DH can do some schmoozing with vendors and some clients who will be there. Unlike other times when we've gone, though, this will just be a visit to the marketplace and vendor stalls; no sitting in on sessions - the conference costs almost $1000 per participant, it's free to walk around the marketplace.

Before then, there's Stitches West! Yay!! It will be held this year from February 26 through March 1. I originally only signed up for classes on Thursday, but started itchin' to take more, so signed up for a class on Sunday morning with Chickenknittle. And even after shopping at the Market Preview on Thursday night, I'm very likely to be back on Friday. And, of course, after class on Sunday. (Yes, I will stay away on Saturday. Zoo!) Photo is of last year's bounty. Let's see... I sold the roving, have used the needles, read the magazine, have one of the sock yarns on needles (that's Pigeonroof Studios), and have tried to figure out what to do with the 3 mini-skeins of Malabrigo lace weight. Haven't used the burgundy yarn from Yarn Place (will use the beads for whatever it will be), and have an idea of what to do with the Newton's cashmere/merino, but nothing definite yet. Of course I need more yarn. Why do you ask?

The last bit of travel in the early part of the year will be the two nights we'll spend in San Simeon wiht DH's sister, brother, and sister-in-law the last week in April. Back in the day (before I joined the family), his mom, dad, siblings, and sib-spouses would spend a week at "their" motel in San Simeon, all rooms facing the water, all visitors using the time to decompress and unwind. By the time I came along, mom and dad were no longer up for the drive (it's a few hours from Oxnard), and the siblings let the tradition die down (except sister - she's been back 2 or 3 times on her own).

This year, DH, me, his brother, sister-in-law, and sister (sister's husband passed away 3 years ago), will be there for a couple of days in April. This tickles mom to no end. I'm looking forward to it, too. Not only because I like his family, but gotta search for yarn shops around San Simeon!

Knitting stuff... Am trying to be monogamous. Well, okay, am trying to keep number of active WIPs down to 2. Okay, 3. I really need to get the re-knit of my aunt's sweater done. I'm almost at the point where you do the last buttonhole and split for the arms. To balance that, about 2 weeks ago, I picked up my Pigeonroof Studios sock toes to find a pattern worthy of the yarn (this is, like, my 4th attempt). This time, I committed myself to a pattern. It's from a sweater, and is very much like Janice Kang's "Early Spring." So far, I like it. Problem is, it's a 16-row repeat, and while it's technically easy to make each stitch, I can't commit the pattern to memory. So, last night I cast on some Blue Moon Fiber Arts Mediumweight in Rhodonite. They will be Leyburns once I get past the heel. I needed something non-thinking and portable. I will enjoy knitting the foot and instep in stockinette... round and round and round. (Except for when I'll put in the Cat Bordhi arch expansion.)

Gotta publish this, then re-edit it in MSIE... Google's Chrome can't handle when I try to move the pictures around.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that hat is so "you", you can't give it away. It makes you look....um....uh....hmm. Yeah. Can we see a pic of it on your aunt, at least?

    ReplyDelete