Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009? Already?

A new year, a new set of resolutions to work on for a week until they become one with all the other resolutions gone by the wayside.

But first - what about last year? What happened to the Year of Finishing Dangerously? Well, I wish I could say I ran through all my stash and now have nothing left... but that would be such a lie. There were some stash enhancement opportunities in 2008.

In my defense, I will say that many other people helped me out by gifting me with lovely, lovely yarns... In particular, Erin at Bobbin's Nest absolutely spoiled me with random packages of gorgeous yarns - Hazelknits, Chasing Rainbows, Mini-maiden. And my Wednesday and Thursday knit gangs, who not only gift me with their knowledge, but also Jitterbug, Claudia's, and Araucania, among other things.

Further in my defense, others gave me gifts of checks or gift cards. In particular, my MIL's birthday gift came the day before Teri's 50%-off sale at Madonna Needleworks (RIP) and I felt compelled to help Teri sell out her yarns. Oh, yeah, and there was the bonus from Regina, part of which went to help Erin lighten *her* yarn load at the before-inventory 35%-off sale this past Monday. And at Michael's 70%-off end-of-year clearance sale. And at JoAnn's Big New Year's Sale (plus 10% off your entire purchase including sale items).

Okay, fine. I fell down. Once. Okay, maybe twice. But I did manage to make some headway into the 'old' stash:
- That weird Muench yarn: Using it as a border around a plain white stockinette pullover. Almost done. (Still leaves 9 balls of the damn stuff, though.)
- 2007's birthday Malabrigo: Hey, Teach! is almost done knitting. Back is done, fronts are 3/4 done, two short sleeves and seaming remain.
- Kraemer Little Lehigh Pebbles: Finally finished the Lacey Vee tank that had been in progress since 2005!
- Berrocco Ultra Alpaca: Picchu-Picchu sweater is in progress. I was using it as my "practice Continental" sweater. Unfortunately, after my thumb surgery, I'm having some 'tingling' issues with my index finger that makes it very difficult to 'pick' off that finger. Putting the sweater into hibernation until we figure out what's wrong with my finger - and hopefully fix it!
- KnitPicks Shine Worsted: Hibito is in progress! Put this on hold while I went through my Christmas knitting, but will pick up after Hey, Teach! is done.
- Crystalline Lattice socks, Lorna's Laces: Finally finished these, gifted to KB.
- Bistro Shirt, Rowan Summer Tweed: Another project that had been on the needles for a long time - done!

Yeah, there were a few other projects that I started and finished using new yarns.

For 2009, I think I'll try this knitting-from-stash thing again. Thanks to Chickenknittle's help reorganizing the yarn room, I remembered that I have wonderful, wonderful yarns to choose from right in my own house. I think I'll even put the stash up on Ravelry... maybe a print-out of everything I have will help restrain me when I'm in a yarn store. (Stop snickering!)

Happy new year, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Restraint in a *yarn store*?!? You??? Hahahahahaha! Oh, wait, maybe that's me....

    ReplyDelete