Thursday, September 4, 2008

Startaholicism

I don't call it "startitis." The suffix "-itis" refers to an inflammation. Okay, so I suppose a broad stretching of 'inflammation' could mean 'inflated numbers of items on needles,' but I actually prefer to think of it as 'startaholicism,' as in addiction. Need the rush of anticipation and hope and potential - like before you knit it to the point where you realize you've made a lot of mistakes and it won't look at all like the picture.

The past couple of days I have been itching to cast on. For the "Hey Teach" sweater. For the "Vanilla Spice" sweater. For "Wisteria." For anything where I can use my Garnstudio's Silke Alpaca (it's soooo soft, I desperately want to knit something that will be against my skin). I have resisted so far, but I'm weakening. And all this desire to start something - multiple somethings - new made me wonder what was wrong with what I've got on needles now.

- Flat Feet socks: Pattern is boring, yarn crimp is weird. They're for Kadootje and I would love to get them to her but the pattern is boring and the yarn is crimpy and sproingy. It is my pocketbook knitting, though, so I tend to get a round or two done a day.
- Coriolis socks: TINY NEEDLES! They are taking forever! (It doesn't help that I keep looking at them instead of knitting them.) Luckily, there's no due-date for them (which also doesn't help get them knit any faster).
- Scroll Lace socks: Face it, they're for ChickenKnittle - I'll be knitting them forever. She likes her socks up up up her leg. And she's a tall one.
- Hibito sweater: Not a hard pattern, but needs some attention. And the yarn is slippery, one false move and the pattern is wonky.
- Picchu-Picchu sweater: This is my practice-Continental piece and I'm just not in the mood right now.
- Gumdrops socks: Actually, I'm kinda liking these and manage to get a row or two done a night.

Oh, and here I am posting this instead of knitting on Coriolis or Hibito or Flat Feet. Yeah, I understand the cruel irony of it. So as I make my way from upstairs to downstairs, I wonder if I'll accidentally manage to pick up the Silke Alpaca and some needles along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment