Monday, December 3, 2007

Heavy Question of the Day, and Why Ravelry is Bad

So it's not really "to tat or not to tat?" but rather "what to tat?" (And by 'tat,' even though it is a fiber craft, I'm not talking about tatting with perle cotton, and shuttles or needles... I'm talking about tattoos... but I guess you do tattoo with needles, too...)

At least for me, it's true what they say about getting a tattoo... you can't get just one. So I've been mulling over what my third one should be. I'm leaning towards a yin-yang symbol where the two inner 'balls' of the symbol are yarn balls. But I'm also liking the idea of just one yarn ball that has a strand that kind of winds down a body part (depends upon where I put the yarn ball). I've seen some really nice ones on Ravelry, but (a) I don't want to copy anyone else's, and (b) most of them are too busy for what I prefer. Mulling will continue.

Speaking of Ravelry, there are just sooo many things that make it bad:

  • - I don't keep a paper knitting journal any more, so I've now got a collection of yarn snippets and ball bands that haven't got an entry in my book.
  • - It allows me to find all the above-mentioned tattoos and covet getting another one.
  • - It shows me, in real live numbers, how many projects I have on needles, how many I keep saying I'm going to work on, and how much lovely yarn I have that I have no idea what to do with.
  • - It makes me want to knit more. And different. And better.
(Okay so maybe that last point isn't technically 'bad,' especially the 'better' part.)

For those of you not on Ravelry, and not close enough to see my now-incomplete knitting journal, here are the latest FOs. The first three (felted thingys, drop-stitch scarf, tiny purse) were all done for Bobbin's Nest Studio. I'll be holding three "QuicKnits" sessions (Wednesdays in December, 6:00-7:00 pm) to learn how to make them. They're EASY, they're QUICK, and they take one skein/ball of yarn or less.

These next two are 'real' things. The first is a hat for my brother. He asked for an ear-flap hat, so this is what he's getting. It desperately needs a blocking, and I desperately need to learn how to do colorwork better. As DK pointed out, "he won't be wearing it inside out." Good thing, too. The socks are my toe-up Jaywalkers, finally done! I'm very pleased with them; they fit like a dream. I think they're the first stocks I've made that fit me correctly. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment