Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Happily Home

*sigh* It's so good to be back in my own home, sleeping in my own bed, snuggling up to my own snuggle-bunny. After a brief panic and a quick change in flights (I was originally scheduled to fly TPA-MIA-SFO, but they were having severe weather problems in MIA, so I went TPA-DFW-SFO instead) that got me home 2 hours later than originally planned, the flights themselves were uneventful. We took on more fuel on the TPA-DFW leg because the pilot was going to have to fly around some storms in the Louisiana-Texas neighborhood, but he or she did a good job because we only had around 5 minutes of almost bumpy air.

After a 3-hour layover in DFW (not a bad airport for a layover of that length - especially when you can sit in the Admiral's Club), the leg to SFO was also uneventful. We were flying above the clouds so I could see lots of stars above; I managed to knit a little on my Malabrigo socks and also napped out for about an hour-and-a-half.

One of my highly irrational fears is that I won't recognize someone in a crowd. We're not talking casual acquaintances or people you only know over the internet... I'm talking family, I'm talking friends you've known for years, really close people. So when I got off the plane and started walking through the terminal, I had a brief moment of panic - what if I walk right past Kelly? (I told you it was irrational.) Not to fear, my rational brain took over and I saw him before I was even half-way down the hall. We hugged for a very very long time, and by the time we got to baggage claim, my bag was one of the first ones circling around. An uneventful (but talky) drive home, then I crashed and was asleep by 1:30 AM (4:30 AM Florida time).

We woke up to a nice morning breeze wafting over us and no alarms set, and then I showered in my own shower, got dressed in my own closet, got to wear a different set of clothes than I've been wearing in Florida, and generally just putter about, touching the things I hadn't seen in a long time.

I got a phone call from Kindred that Aunt I's hemoglobin numbers were somehow not what they should be, so they were going to give her some blood and move her to an ICU unit where they could observe her better. I asked them to also call my dad with the information, and when I checked in with him later, he reminded me that Aunt I had been borderline anemic for a while, especially when she was going through her chemo for MMM; getting blood was not unusual. He also said that they were keeping her in ICU overnight, nothing extraordinary. Whew.

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment