Friday, July 17, 2009

A Big Milestone!

Oh, she just couldn't wait to tell everyone who came in the door today - last night, aunt I's nephrologist came in to tell her that she will no longer be getting dialysis three times a week! They will monitor her liquid output and her numbers and make sure everything is okay, but she is no longer getting mandatory 3x dialysis; it's now 'as needed.' She is so happy, she asked for the speaking tube so she could: tell her respiratory therapist, tell her nephew, tell her speech therapist, tell the lady who cleaned the room, tell the CNA... she told everyone.

I can understand why... Being on a respirator and being on dialysis are the two conditions that will limit which nursing facility she can go to next. The respirator is the biggie, and she's working hard on that one, but the dialysis would also restrict her choices, so she's absolutely thrilled.

She was tired today, and had the therapists working her upper body, her legs and lower body, she was off the vent for 12 hours yesterday and would be off it for 12 today, too. Plus she apparently had a washing to end all washings overnight - the CNA or nurse cleaned, in her words, "every nook and cranny," plus she got her hair washed. Apparently, our little meeting yesterday yielded results. As long as they keep it up, I'll feel better about being so far away. I almost said, "as long as dad will continue the fight," but I laughed at that one. Why is it that formerly very successful corporate people (like my dad) revert to 10-year-olds being afraid to speak up for what they want? I'm going to have to push hard from 3,000 miles away next week to make sure aunt I doesn't lose any ground.

A very good day, I'd say; wouldn't you??

1 comment:

  1. I continue to cheer on your aunt's progress. She is very lucky to have you as her advocate, and I am sure that the facility will continue to pay attention to her needs, even if you are not physically there to ensure that they do. Enjoy your visit on Sunday with her and have a safe flight home!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete