Saturday, May 16, 2009

In Which I Confront the Errant Waitress

Ashlee was her name. I knew this from the restaurant receipt. 

On one of our last drives down to visit the in-laws, I knit a pair of Fetchings - fingerless gloves - from some Drops Silke-Alpaca that I got on our honeymoon cruise in the Baltic. The yarn was luscious, one skein was cream, one was cranberry, and they were actually cheaper than what I would have paid for them in the States - even given the exchange rate and Visa's FX charge. (Never mind that there was the $3,000 price of the cruise; that doesn't count.)

I finished the Fetchings Sunday afternoon, and wore them that night to dinner at Outback. Ashlee, our waitress, gushed over them. She was a local college student, she loved gloves and fingerless gloves, her gramma knit, she recently moved to the area because things went bad somewhere else... we had a lovely chat. At the end of our dinner, I gave her the Fetchings. She was happy, she was surprised, she was tickled pink. I told her there was one huge caveat - she had to send me a picture of them so I could post the picture on my Ravelry projects page. I gave her my business card with my email on it, and she promised she would take the picture and send it.

Next day, we got home. No email. Tuesday, no email. Wednesday, no email. Thursday, Friday, Saturday... nothing. My knitting posse was even getting on my case. Weeks... months... nothing.

So, here we are again. Dinner at Outback. Ashlee is still waitressing there. We ask for a table in her section. She comes over to ask our drink order, and does what looks like a short double-take. I asked, "Do we look familiar to you?" She opens her mouth wide and points at me. "YES! Thank god you came back! I lost your business card! I've been driving my boyfriend and friends crazy because I felt so bad that I couldn't send you the picture!"

We chatted, she took the picture 'way back when, still has it, still loves her gloves, and promised that she would send the photo this week... because we told her that 10 knitters would descend on her the next time if she didn't!

I hope she does; she seems really sweet and sounded very sincere and contrite. Or, I'm just a sucker for a pretty face...

1 comment:

  1. Next time we all drive down with you, have dinner at outback and stalk her like paparazzi. :)
    Profided if she does not send the picture, if she does I will knit her another pair, so she can sent another picture. Just to make sure no more contact info gets lost!

    ReplyDelete