Saturday, September 4, 2010

Expedition

I don't really do a lot of shopping anymore. I tend to make a list of stuff I need, then go on a focused trip, get it, and come home. For some reason, though, every so often I need a real shopping day, where I wander, see what's out there, and get stuff. Yup; it's that time.

It started rather innocently - with a list of what I needed: bras. Girls, you know what I mean - find one you like and fits well, and stick with it (at least until the manufacturer discontinues it, but that's a rant for another day). I took my list ("bras"), got my cheat-sheet of style numbers ("Bali 6520"), and headed out to the Bali/Playtex outlet at the outlet stores in Gilroy.

I asked the saleslady if they carried that style and she went to her big, thick book of codes. (Seriously? There isn't an online inventory system you could check? Whatever...) It was taking a while to look it up (seriously? it's not online?), so I finally asked her if it would help if I showed her what it looked like. She nodded, so I flashed the bra I was wearing at her - at which point she immediately said "yes" and took me right to them, where I grabbed 6 (quick, before they're discontinued!).

And here's where the desire to shop started. It was my birthday month, so they give you 20% off your purchase. Plus they were having a buy 2, get one for $1 sale. By the time she was done ringing me up, I had gotten 6 bras for $61. Not bad for bras that retail at $24 each.

So if I could get $144 worth of bras for $61, what other bargains could be had?

Well, next door is a Wilson Leather store. I had recently bought a wallet at Target, and though I liked the basic design, it was a little awkward to use. At Wilson's, I found a similar design, but one that worked better. As I was checking out (special sale day, everything in the store was an additional 20% off) I noticed the sign that said "10% military discount." Um, I got one of them... $38 wallet for $12. Nice. Keep going, Meg!

Next stop, the Van Heusen store. I was on a roll... Everything in the store is normally heavily discounted and, lucky for me, I really like the quality of their clothes and the way they fit. Turns out they were having a double sale yesterday, so they were practically paying me to take home 5 new tops. Plus, because it was my birthday month, I got an additional 20% on top of that. On the way out, I decided to look at the men's side of the store and found 2 shirts for KW. Deal!

All this in about 30 minutes.

I had intended to go to Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday (really!), but after my fun at those three stores, I was late for knit night, so I decided to go shopping again today - that fun kind of shopping. The kind where I don't have a list. Oh boy, did I have fun! Here was my take (this is both yesterday and today):

Bali: 6 bras.
Wilson's: Wallet.
Van Heusen: 5 tops for me, 2 shirts for KW.
Izod: 1 top (thanks to a $5 certificate from Van Heusen, I paid $.99 for the top!).
Coach: 1 purse (a $328 purse on sale for $99 PLUS a 20%-off coupon they gave me at the door... come on, people - it's a Coach purse for $80!!! Oh, and a 1 key chain.)

Bed Bath & Beyond (yes, I finally made it!): 2 sets of bathroom towels, new curtains for the downstairs bathroom, sink mats, mini-funnels.
Ross: 3 pair of jeans, 1 vest. (I really needed some jeans that went all the way to the floor.)
Michael's: File basket and Beadazzler (don't ask).

I came home today with bags and bags of stuff. Shopping at the outlets and getting birthday discounts, I saved about $400 over what I could have paid at a 'normal' store. Shoot, I saved almost $250 on that Coach purse alone!

Damn, that was fun, but I'm really glad I don't do it that often. Now it's time to go through towels and curtains and donate 2 sets, then go through my closet and donate 6 tops, 3 pair of pants, a vest, a purse, and a wallet (yep - new in, old out, except the bras... that's kind of creepy).

Happy Labor Day to you, too!

1 comment: