Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Knitting Bummerness

As some of you may remember, I'm making the Flamethrower socks for DH. I've got both socks done to above the heel (from the toe-up) and I'm on row 8-ish of one of the socks, 8 (I think) rows of the stranded flame colorwork.

After 2 rows of color work, I could still get them over my ankle.

After 4 rows of color work, I could still get them over my ankle.

Cautiously optimistic, I was very careful to strand loooooosely.

Alas, not loose enough. After 8 rows.... Nuh-uh. Won't go over my ankle. And DH's ankles aren't any smaller than mine, so into the frog pond they shall go. I'll have to figure out if I add stitches or go up a needle size (or two) to keep them loose enough to fit.

Bummer.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I would think that with stranded knitting you might be able to go up a size or two in needles. I think I would try it and if it looks too lose after a couple of rows, then I'd rip and try more stitches with the original needles. Or just try the bigger size. Not a lot of help, am I. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tammy; going up in needle size would be my first try. Unfortunately, I'm already knitting the biggest size, so there's no more 'up' to go that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biggest size already?? 14 18?? impossible, need to go up a needle size or increase some stitches in between the flames.

    ReplyDelete