Friday, January 15, 2010

A Week!

A week to go. I've already started putting some clothes aside. Oh, and the cruise lounge-chair "reserved" hats I got. And the travel journal. I don't normally have a problem packing. Five days = five undies, five bras, five pair of socks, 3 or 4 pants, 5 or 6 tops, and my ditty bag. If I think I'll need to get gussied up, I see which pair of 'fancy' pants I still fit into and toss them in, too, with a 'fancy' top and knee-high nylons. (Even on a cruise, I don't plan for gussy.)

No, what usually takes me a long time to pack is my knitting. Especially when a flight is on the books, and double especially when the flight is a long one, like Tampa. What do I bring on the plane? What won't get stopped by TSA? If they do want the needles, can I pull them out without dropping every stitch 5 rows? I usually bring socks, but I'm always leery about them, because the needles are more pointy than, say, needles for worsted weight yarns. I haven't gotten stopped yet, but after the Dec 25 attempt, I'm afeared TSA may be more picky. I suppose I could bring Sensational Shirttail - but that's a heavy wool sweater. How likely will I be to knit on it once I'm in Florida and on the boat?

And what knitting to I pack? Small things would be nice, things that don't require a lot of concentration, since there are usually large amount of, ahem, adult beverages involved on a cruise. I have enough trouble counting to 10 without Jose' Cuervo's help; I don't even want to get into how hard it is AFTER he's 'helped' me... On the other hand, I don't want a mind-numbing thing to work on, either. Maybe it's time to break out the Landscape Shawl. I don't think the posse will ever get around to doing the knitalong for it; I may as well just start.

Or socks... I could start another pair of Crown Mountain socks... That yarn was soooo delicious to work with, I want the feel of it through my fingers again.

Well, there's time to decide. In the meantime, I have two students for my class at Bobbin's Nest Studio tomorrow. They're going to learn how to knit in the round - how exciting! I love teaching that class and the cable class. Easy things that look magical and complicated.

Oh, and I've got three six-word memoirs done:
"Moved to California on my own."
"Despite some bumps, life is good."

And my favorite, the one that really sums it up for me:
"Didn't take notes, can't remember shit." Oh yeah.

1 comment:

  1. I flew round trip to Hawaii in January. No problem with getting my knitting through TSA. Had socks on bamboo circs. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete