Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Revising Goals (Yes, already)

As I was going through last year's purchases (yes, I keep old receipts and use Quicken to run spending reports; shut up), I decided on another goal for the year: To spend less at Stitches West in 2010 than I did in 2009. I pulled the receipts but haven't yet tallied them up, but I think they're in the $200-$250 range, thanks to two (count 'em, TWO) Namaste bags that I purchased. (Which I don't use and will probably sell. Any offers?)

I'm thinking that staying under that number won't be a problem this year, since I've successfully resisted buying a lot of anything in the past 4 or 5 months. Bobbin's Nest got a chunk from me at their pre-inventory sale (oooh.... Wool Candy....), and I bought 2 skeins of Wildfoote sock yarn off of Knitterliness at the knitting gathering on Dec 19, but that doesn't really count. The rest of my yarn acquisition through the later part of the year came from gifts; my actual yarn spending has been quite suppressed.

As it should be. I made everyone's holiday cowls from stash yarn, and didn't really make a dent in any pile.

Another goal that should be relatively easy (I'll go off on a tangent about goals later): Setting up a regular writing schedule. This one should fall into my lap. During National Novel Writing Month last year, the two Nicoles who joined me at Booksmart on Wednesday nights for NaNo write-ins both said they were interested in finding a regular writing group. Rather than finding one, I said, why don't we just make one? So, we're in the process of figuring what night will fit our respective schedules. I have the old writing sheets from the Barnes & Noble group I used to visit before we moved to Morgan Hill. They should last us at least a couple of months.

I'm not having a lot of success in my first set of goals so far. It's too easy to fall back into a satiric and sarcastic speaking style - it's almost like that's in my blood. I guess that's why it's a mindfulness practice. And I think I'll be practicing constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment