Thursday, July 24, 2008

When Did...

So last week, Yarn Harlot wrote about the age-old process of spinning fibers and how that's how fabrics have been made for years and years. And I've been thinking about that a bit, as it tangents off a similar concept/question I've had for years.... When did walking become exercise, instead of transportation? Likewise, when did spinning (or knitting or sewing or quilting) become art or craft, instead of how we protected ourselves from the elements? When did cooking become a television network, instead of how we kept from starving? You get the idea.

I know there are a hundred anthropological and historical and cultural answers to these and other, similar questions; it's just interesting how we live today, and what we're "reinventing" to suit our discretionary time or money. If I had to knit to keep DH and I from walking around nekkid, well, I do mittens and socks pretty well, but society might not be ready for us to be prancing around in my "art."

Just an idle question/observation. No real point. Look at the pretty socks I made LMKnits and then say goodnight, Gracie. Goodnight, Gracie.

No comments:

Post a Comment