Monday, February 21, 2011

Yarn Fumes

Had to leave the apple buds to do their thing while I was at Stitches West in the Santa Clara Convention Center. Oh dear. I did more damage to my budget this year than I did last year and the year before - combined. Two-and-a-half of the purchases were intended (I'll explain the 'half' later), the rest just jumped into my arms.

Off the top of my head, here's what followed me home:
- 3 skeins Blue Moon Fiber Arts Woobu, in "In the Navy." (Intended.)
- 6 skeins madelinetosh DK, in "Tart." (Intended.)
- 2 skeins Brooks Farm Riata, in a red. (Oops.) (But this one is almost excusable, since I've been coveting this yarn since my first Stitches in 2005.)
- 10 skeins Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, in a copper/beige color. (Oops.)
- 10 skeins Elsebeth Lavold Silk Flamme, in a deep chocolate color. (Oops.)
- 1 skein Dream in Color Experimental Stardust, in "Western Sunset." (Oops.)
- 2 square needle circulars from Kollage. (Intended.)
- 2 glass needles from Michael and Sheila Ernst. (Oops - sort of.)

The glass needles were the 'half.' I had wanted to try the newest Signature Needle Arts circulars and get a pair of those, but SNA wasn't at Stitches this year. So I happened upon Sheila's booth and promptly started to drool over a set of U.S. #7 designer needles. Well, I don't do 7s very often, so I asked about some U.S. #8s with a 16" cord. It turns out, they don't bring very many needles with 16" cords to shows, and she didn't think she had any. Lo and behold, when she looked through her stock, she found a pair, so I got them. It must have been fate.

Later, as I was remembering the yarns I had purchased, I realized that I sure as hell DID knit with size 7 needles, and went back on Sunday to get those. They have a gold-tone spiral down the center of the needle; incredibly beautiful. Yes, I'll post pictures, but it may take a while, and I'm not sure how well that spiral will come out.

There were a few odds and ends - some mini-Stitch Dots, a shawl pin, other small things - but I think that's it for the big yarn purchases. I'll take and post pictures through the week.

The classes were great, too. If my classwork photograph well, I'll post those, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment