Monday, January 31, 2011

Glad we're not there anymore

Have been seeing pictures and hearing news reports about the protests in Egypt, and we are both very happy we visited Alexandria and Cairo when we did (as in, before the protests started).






I checked the Royal Caribbean website to see how they may have altered the itinerary to avoid docking (and visiting) Alexandria, but then remembered that after our cruise, they had a repositioning cruise, and the ship (Brilliance of the Seas) was going to start sailing from Dubai. Which would be cool, but I think we'll wait a bit before we do another overseas trip.


In the meantime, DH has been digging holes - four so far, with at least two more to go. (Three if we get the wisteria to bring in the bees.) He's doing it by hand for two reasons... One, the soil (such as it is) really sucks. It's clay and rocks; probably more rocks than anything else. Power tools quake at the sight of our yard. Two, he likes the exercise, swinging that axe. Sure he's sore for a bit, but in his mind, "no pain, no gain." However he makes the holes is fine by me, as long as he doesn't hurt himself.



So here's what's going in this week: 2 Coral cherries, 1 Black Tartarian cherry, 1 Baby Crawford peach, 1 Valencia orange. We also got grape vine pruning instructions from Jessie at Castillo Winery, so DH will be out there working on those this week, too. We may actually get some fruit this year.









This last (not so good) picture is one Maude Estelle Gorman Potts, my paternal grandfather's sister. Even in this shot (which my cousin Ginger got from Ancestry.com), I can easily see my father and my brother's features. I about fell over; it looks like one of them in drag!



No comments:

Post a Comment