Wednesday, August 1, 2007

New Math: Doctors = Lawyers

So, in the lawyer world, the standard answer to a legal question is, "It depends." As in: "How should I plead?" "It depends." Or: "Will the judge find for the plaintiff or the defendant?" "It depends."

Apparently, doctors have the same standard answer. The orthopedist (the one who believes surgery is the answer) says, "It's a frozen shoulder," the chiropractor (the one who believes that physical therapy can be the answer) says, "It depends." Actually, the chiropractor said flat-out, "No it's not." However, it could become frozen if we're not careful.

After the chiropractor taped it up on Friday (and after taking the anti-inflammatory meds and a day or two of vicodin over the weekend), I can move it without pain. So the general thought is that I slept on it bad Wednesday night causing the previous problem to get worse, so by Thursday night it was really really bad and needed the taping and the sling to get back to a relatively even keel. (And even though I probably didn't make it any better by preparing Saturday night's dinner on Thursday afternoon, I maintain I wasn't using the arm very much throughout the day because it already hurt too bad.)

Anyway, I'm almost done with the prednisone and I haven't taken any vicodin since Sunday evening (and even then it was only half a pill). The shoulder got re-taped today, which allows me to move it, but not move into - or past - the pain point.

Net-net:
1. I'm feeling much better after having talked to the chiropractor today.
2. I'm pretty okay about not having to have surgery.
3. Whether he was right or wrong about the diagnosis, I still didn't like the ortho's bedside manner.
4. With Mae over for knitting last night, I added 10 more rows on the modified Marble Arches sock (the ones in teal JoJoLand Melody yarn).
5. With Kathy over for craft morning today, I added another 10 inches to the about-to-be-felted purse (but found out that Herrschner's has the yarn on back order for delivery August 30 - so much for bringing the bag with me on the cruise!).
6. After I got bored with the bag this morning, I added another 5-ish rows to the soon-to-be-Jaywalkers socks.
7. I thought about doing more rows on the Crystalline Lattice socks, but that's about as far as I could go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment